Thursday, October 9, 2014

Ice dancing

Ice dancing is a discipline of figure skating that draws from ballroom dancing. It joined the World Figure Skating Championships in 1952, and became a Winter Olympic Games medal sport in 1976.
Ice dancing, at one time, resembled ballroom dancing on the ice, but has become more and more athletic. Ice dancers do intricate footwork sequences to music and must skate to a certain beat. Ice dancing can be practiced and performed by solo skaters.There are several pattern ice dances, which include set patterns and set steps, that figure skaters can learn and master. Pattern ice dances can be done with or without a partner.
Ice dancing can look easier than single or pair skating, but actually, can be more difficult. For that reason, some ice skaters don't like ice dancing. Doing pattern ice dances does not require jumping or spinning, so ice dancing is popular among adult figure skaters. 







Below is a link to watch a couple ice dance at the Olympics.

http://www.olympic.org/videos/figure-skating-ice-dance-short-program

6 comments:

  1. I have always loved ice skating although I am as graceful at that as I am with everything else so it was out of the question if I wanted to live. But, it is pretty cool!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so beautiful. Ice skating is so calm and relaxing, I just love to watch it. Nice pic Naomi.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Skating was a paramount sport in the Olympics for me and the world until the 1994 U.S. Figure Skating Championships in Detroit. A widely publicized attack took place after a practice session on Nancy Kerrigan. The scandel spun out of control when all fingers pointed back to The beloved tonya harding. That killed it for me. But figure skating is still a graceful sport. Great post

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have always enjoyed watching figure skating, how graceful the movements are. When I was younger I used to mimic them on roller skates, definitely not the same but I liked to pretend. hehe

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is truly amazing. I have a tremendous respect for the hard work and dedication is takes to be successful in this sport. Body movements are so graceful and its fascinating to watch knowing how difficult their routines are.

    ReplyDelete
  6. i love watching the figure skating events!! it's my favourite!! and love following the competition among the U.S. team and the CAnadian one jejej loved the post!

    ReplyDelete